Sunday, May 21, 2006

French Mustard Pasta Sauce

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
  • Mix all the ingredients and simmer over a low heat.
  • Pour directly over al dente pasta and toss gently.
  • Serve with a salad and crusty bread.
  • Cheese and fruit for dessert top off a great meal.
Sheila Witherington
I learned this recipe during the summer of 1990 when I lived with a French family in Strasbourg, France. I don't remember very many details about this time because I had just had major abdominal surgery two weeks before leaving the U.S. and I was in a sort of shock for weeks. But I do remember this recipe. The family was comprised of a mother and three chldren, ages 18, 15, and 12. The 18-year-old son lived in the carriage house behind the main house with a college friend of his, and sometimes when the mother was not available, they cooked the evening meal for all of us. As a part of my homestay program, they provided breakfast and dinner in the evening. Therefore, it was understood that the family would dine together at night. One of the favorites for the guys to cook was pasta with this mustard sauce. They prepared a nice salad of fresh greens and oil and served pasta and sauce. I adapted the recipe to my different moods, but this is the basic recipe the best I can remember it. C'est la vie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home