Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fish Croquettes

Canned tuna, salmon, or mackerel
Cornmeal, equal parts to match amount of fish
1-2 eggs
1 tsp. crushed garlic
½ tsp. black pepper
Canola oil for frying

  • Mixed cornmeal into canned fish.
  • Add eggs and stir gently into fish mixture.
  • Season with garlic and pepper.
  • Heat oil in flat skillet.
  • Form patties and cook in hot oil until brown and cooked through and through.

    Sheila Witherington
    Fish croquettes have been a staple in my home ever since I first learned to cook them early in my marriage. My Aunt Mae made them on the spur-of-the-moment once when I visited, and it impressed me that it was an easy dish to make when guests stopped by. They are easy to mix and fry in a hurry. Cooking them in a cast iron skillet makes a crispier crust on the cakes. These also keep well in a covered container, and I have been known to eat them cold for breakfast or a snack. You can add a chopped onion to the mix, if you wish. Also a teaspoon of horseradish makes them spicier. It is also possible to make fish croquettes from fresh leftover fish. Just add a little oil to the mixture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home