Sunday, August 27, 2006

White Nut Cake

6 egg whites, whipped
2 c. sugar
¾ c. butter
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. soda
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 c. nuts

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Whip egg whites and set aside.
  • Cream sugar and butter.
  • Sift flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a separate bowl.
  • Mix milk, vanilla, and almond extract, cream into sugar and butter mixture.
  • Mix nuts in flour mixture, then slowly add flour to the creamed mixture.
  • Add whipped egg whites last.
  • Pour mixture into two greased and floured loaf pans.
  • Bake 1 hour, checking carefully the last 10 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean in several spots.
  • Remove cakes from pans and cool. Then wrap in plastic.

    Myrna Witherington
    This is my rendition of the famous Myrna Witherington White Nut Cake that was served at my grandma’s house every Christmas when my daddy was growing up. It was the cake that was left out for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, and on Christmas morning the cake was half gone. My daddy loved the cake so much that he told my grandma to make another kind of cake and leave it out for Santa and not to leave the White Nut Cake because Santa ate too much of it. My parents made the cake every Christmas when I was growing up, too. I have changed it a little bit to make it a less dry than the original version.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home