Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fried Deer Steak

Deer steak, sliced thinly
buttermilk to cover meat to soak
another 1 c. buttermilk for every lb. of meat at time of cooking
2 c. flour for every lb. of meat
Salt and pepper
1 c. canola oil for frying

  • Steak should be sliced very thin. Tenderize steak using the mouth of a glass soda bottle. Beat steak until it falls apart.
  • Soak tenderized steak in buttermilk, overnight if possible. The longer it soaks, the more it draws the wild taste from the meat.
  • Start with fresh buttermilk to coat meat before frying.
  • Salt and pepper the flour.
  • Heat oil in cast iron skillet.
  • Dip each piece of steak in buttermilk, then coat in flour mixture, and fry on medium heat until crispy and tender.

    Sheila Witherington
    Cooking deer steak was one of the first meals I learned to cook after I married and Bobby returned from Vietnam. He liked to deer hunt and we always had plenty of deer meat. Sometimes I made it crispy and crunchy, and other times, I simmered the crispy steaks into white milk gravy with sliced onions for about 10 or minutes. I served either mashed potatoes or skillet fried potatoes with this. Steamed rice would be good with deer steak, but since Bobby had to eat rice every day in Vietnam, he never wanted it again after that. I don’t make deer steak anymore because I don’t know anyone who deer hunts. But I would make it if I had it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home