Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fried Squirrel

2 squirrels, cut into pieces at major joints
2 c. seasoned flour
1 c. canola oil for frying

  • Hopefully, someone else has skinned and gutted the squirrels.
  • Since most hunters shoot squirrels with a shotgun, be sure to check squirrel pieces carefully to remove all the buck shot that can be hidden in the flesh.
  • A squirrel can be cut into several major pieces: four legs with thigh, upper body, lower body, and head. A few people (like my mom) love to eat squirrel brains, but not me. I throw the heads away. There is not much meat on a squirrel, so leave the pieces big. You’ll get six pieces from each squirrel.
  • Wash squirrel pieces and while meat is still wet with water, coat each piece in seasoned flour. The secret to frying squirrel is to get it floured really well in all the little creases and crevices, then fry it slowly over medium heat. This will make a nice crispy crust all around. So much of the taste is crust, since the meat is dark and lean.
  • Fry pieces in hot oil.

    Sheila Witherington
    Since I was married to a hunter early in life, I learned to cook squirrels before I turned 20. I never did dip squirrel in buttermilk, just water, because I thought the thicker crust would overpower the small portions of meat on a squirrel. I always thought one would fry a rabbit the same way, but I never fried a rabbit. Whenever Bobby killed a rabbit, he took it to Lady Bug because she loved them so much. I’m thinking I’ll raise and cook rabbits someday though. I think I might cook them like this sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home