Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sheila's Camping Breakfast

Propane gas camping burner
Bacon
Eggs
Canned Biscuits
Major Midwestern Storm
  • When camping out, always cook the bacon first because you will need the bacon grease to cook the eggs and biscuits.
  • Next, you have to decide whether to cook the eggs or the biscuits next, especially if a major Midwestern storm is moving into your campsite.
  • If you cook the eggs next, they will get a little cold while the biscuits fry.
  • If you cook the biscuits next, they will get a little cold while the eggs fry.
  • The main thing to remember is that when finished, do not place them in the front seat of the vehicle while everyone is breaking camp in the pouring rain, lightning, and thunder.
  • Someone is likely to jump into the car, soaking wet, and sit on the whole stack of breakfast, without looking.

    Sheila Witherington
    In June and July 1998, Bridget, Carmen, and I made a cross-country camping trip out west in a tent. We traveled in my red 1992 Mercury Topaz, loaded to the gill with all the camping equipment. One of our campsites was a beautiful place in xxxx. The weather was wonderfully pleasant all through the evening, night and next morning. We were leisurely discussing whether to spend another night in the same site, when I started cooking breakfast early the next morning. Just as I started cooking, a breeze came up, then storm clouds blew in, and Bridget and Carmen started rushing around packing up things in the car before everything got wet. They started squealing that maybe we should just break camp and move on. I was cooking and said that was fine with me and we’d go just as soon as we ate breakfast. They were moving ninety to nothing taking down the tent, rolling up sleeping bags, and packing up supplies, and it started raining big huge drops. The wind started blowing everything around. I had just finished cooking the bacon, and I asked out loud, “Should I cook the eggs or the biscuits first?” By this time, it was raining quite hard. They started laughing at me trying to cook breakfast in the rain, but my thinking was that we had to eat, and I had it all started, I may as well finish it. They have mocked me ever since, “Should I cook the eggs or the biscuits next?” I don’t remember which I cooked next, the eggs or the biscuits, but when I finished all it in the pouring rain, I rushed it over to the car, covered in paper plates and set it in the front passenger seat, so we could eat once everything was loaded and we were on our way. I helped the girls get everything else in the car. It was pouring blankets of rain, the wind was blowing fiercely, and the lightning and thunder were frightening. It was a storm that just came out of nowhere. Just as we all piled into the car and got back out on the highway, we settled down from our laughing, and I said, “Ok, hand me my breakfast.” Bridget and Carmen looked at each other in puzzlement said, “What breakfast? You have the breakfast.” I said, “I put the breakfast in the front passenger seat. Carmen, are you sitting on the breakfast?” She replied, “I don’t know.” She unlatched her seat belt, and lo and behold, there was our camping breakfast squished and soaked between several paper plates. We laughed until our sides hurt and ate it anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The place where this camping breakfast occured was at Angustura Recreation Area near Hot Springs, South Dakota. It's in the southern portion of the Black Hills in South Dakota close to the Badlands and Moutn Rushmore.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home